What are the Slack Archives?

It’s a history of our time together in the Slack Community! There’s a ton of knowledge in here, so feel free to search through the archives for a possible answer to your question.

Because this space is not active, you won’t be able to create a new post or comment here. If you have a question or want to start a discussion about something, head over to our categories and pick one to post in! You can always refer back to a post from Slack Archives if needed; just copy the link to use it as a reference..

Also: Running the bootstrap on my windows machine, NOT in the Ubuntu VM. I want to develop and bu

Options
U01FWMEHHPX
U01FWMEHHPX Posts: 17 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet

Also: Running the bootstrap on my windows machine, NOT in the Ubuntu VM. I want to develop and build on windows and only deploy docker containers to the Ubuntu
...anybody else fallen in this hole before? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Comments

• UKHD8KTMF
    UKHD8KTMF Posts: 393 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet
    Options

on windows you can use devvm (vagrant) or docker on wsdl, there is no other way as far as I know.

• U01EDRXN1E1
    U01EDRXN1E1 Posts: 1 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet
    Options

Not sure if you meant non-VM as in via Docker for Windows or completely natively, but if the latter, I would expand on this topic...

About a month and a half ago, I've actually tried to run our Spryker (B2B-based) project natively on Windows 10 as I previously had issues getting Virtualbox to work properly. I gave up after about 3 days after having tried 2 approaches:

• Natively with XAMPP portable (MariaDB instead of Postgres)
    • Via Cygwin with apache and php7.3
    All other dependent services - Redis 5, ES, RabbitMQ etc. - can be run natively and Spryker communicates with them over the network anyway.

Problem: Currently a non-virtualized native setup is only possible on Linux.

Using PHP for Windows (via XAMPP or anything else)...
    • While the PHP code of Spryker is largely cross platform, there are lots of little things even in the core libraries, which cause it to fail on Windows (e.g. console commands for Postgres DB management and install YAML recipes written to expect unix tools and a bash shell, use of posix_getpid(), etc.)
    • And even with some simple hacks in the vendor libraries -> the classloader still choked when trying to resolve classes from Windows file paths, so all requests end with exceptions thrown
    With some luck, maybe Cygwin might work (again, not officialy supported) but...
    • Cannot choose the specific PHP runtime version (last I checked it's only php 7.3 available)
    • I gave up mainly because it was so slow as to be unusable (mainly due to corporate AV)
    So, the TL;DR: Unless you want to spend 3 days fighting windmills, you're probably better off getting docker or vagrant to work. 😛