Calling Developers!
We are reenergizing our code contribution process! Learn More

What are the Slack Archives?

It’s a history of our time together in the Slack Community! There’s a ton of knowledge in here, so feel free to search through the archives for a possible answer to your question.

Because this space is not active, you won’t be able to create a new post or comment here. If you have a question or want to start a discussion about something, head over to our categories and pick one to post in! You can always refer back to a post from Slack Archives if needed; just copy the link to use it as a reference..

How to deal with customers that want to change the e-mail of their account?

Options
U025CE7KYTD
U025CE7KYTD Posts: 6 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet
edited May 2023 in Business Users

Hi Community, my success story first: i was tempted but able to resist putting my request straight forward to ;)

TLDR: Within your project domain do you have implemented a solution already to change/update a customers email adress?

If so please share here or write DM.

Long version:

How do you deal with a Customer requesting "Please change the email of my account"
From time to time we get these requests passed over as a daily business from legal + data protection officer.

"Hi Webshop. Please change the email of my user account to <mailto:abc@xyz.com|abc@xyz.com>. I no longer have access to my former mail adress because of [valid-reason] and would like to order new stuff but also like to keep my order history. "

Such requests has been checked and approved by our legal already. it is 100% no fraud and a valid request. By german law the customer has a general right to get his data "up tp date".

Currently we do not do any of such request. The Email adress of a customer cannot be changed in zed/backoffice. Most liklely because of relations issues. Instead we simply encourage customers to create a new account with the new mail adress. Customers are unhappy with this because they lose their order history.

Spryker Team already confirmed: You cannot change the email of an existing account, you would have to create a new account from scratch.

So again: no order history.

Anyone already has come up with a solution for this? Or do you all deal with such requests as we are currently?.

I was thinking of a cmd to update existing relations in all orders from OLD Account to NEW account

Comments

• giovanni.piemontese
    giovanni.piemontese Technical Lead @ Löffelhardt Spryker Solution Partner Posts: 871 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet
    Options

we have made some changes to allow this and there is no problem.... order are referenced by customer reference, not email...

• U025CE7KYTD
    U025CE7KYTD Posts: 6 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet
    edited June 2022
    Options

thank you @UL65CH0MC for sharing your exp, our thoughts were spryker had their reason to disable the email field.

• giovanni.piemontese
    giovanni.piemontese Technical Lead @ Löffelhardt Spryker Solution Partner Posts: 871 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet
    Options

I honestly wouldn't know why Spryker disabled this feature. Of course in enabling it you need to extend at the project level a couple of things.

From what I remember in theory the email, as well as other customer fields, are correctly copied into the sales table and from my point of view they should not be updated in case of email change, because they have to respect the customer status at the time of the order (as well as first name, last name, etc...).