Calling Developers!
We are reenergizing our code contribution process! Learn More

What are the Slack Archives?

Itโ€™s a history of our time together in the Slack Community! Thereโ€™s a ton of knowledge in here, so feel free to search through the archives for a possible answer to your question.

Because this space is not active, you wonโ€™t be able to create a new post or comment here. If you have a question or want to start a discussion about something, head over to our categories and pick one to post in! You can always refer back to a post from Slack Archives if needed; just copy the link to use it as a reference..

Hi docker Guys ๐Ÿ˜‰ I've seen that spryker now is compatible with newer version of Postgres (offi

Options
giovanni.piemontese
giovanni.piemontese Technical Lead @ Lรถffelhardt Spryker Solution Partner Posts: 871 ๐Ÿง‘๐Ÿปโ€๐Ÿš€ - Cadet

Hi docker Guys ๐Ÿ˜‰

I've seen that spryker now is compatible with newer version of Postgres (officially ๐Ÿ™‚ )
-> https://github.com/spryker/docker-sdk/tree/master/generator/src/templates/service/postgres

What are the steps to migrate correctly to new version (12 i.e.) locally? Of course task 1 is set version in deploy.yml and deploy.dev.yml (or default set). After that? We have to remove the container or just run bootstrap!? I want just write the migration for all devs in project.
Thank u very much in advance.

Comments

• UKHD8KTMF
    UKHD8KTMF Posts: 393 ๐Ÿง‘๐Ÿปโ€๐Ÿš€ - Cadet
    Options

Hi, I suggest:
    * stopping the containers (if they are running) docker/sdk stop

• , running clean docker/sdk clean
    • and then boostrap docker/sdk boostrap deploy.dev.yml
    • and then run up docker/sdk up
  • UKHD8KTMF
    Options

you can omit clean but this will leave containers that will not be used

• giovanni.piemontese
    giovanni.piemontese Technical Lead @ Lรถffelhardt Spryker Solution Partner Posts: 871 ๐Ÿง‘๐Ÿปโ€๐Ÿš€ - Cadet
    Options

Ok @UKHD8KTMF but what is about data?

When i upgraded the ES version 6 months ago then i must remove container otherwise it was not more working -> https://sprykercommunity.slack.com/archives/CMYFJCG2E/p1576585779010200

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

then run clean ๐Ÿ˜„

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

I would personally run docker system prune - but this is not without side effects, because it will clean images/volumes etc everywhere and this is not acceptable to some

• giovanni.piemontese
    Options

Ok.. but clean - Stop all Spryker containers and remove images and volumes. and it means that i have to re-intall the whole application locally.. right?

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

yes

• giovanni.piemontese
    Options

ok. clear now... thank u very much..

p.s.: i thought that maybe there was another way to save db data, swithc version and then restore data... without re-install the application

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

maybe there is, I am just no aware of it

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

you can try, doing bootstrap and then reset

• giovanni.piemontese
    Options

ok.. me too.. because reinstall was also my first idea.. just as u described...

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

reset will - Remove and build all Spryker images and volumes

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

would need to check if it is leaving storages intact

• giovanni.piemontese
    Options

ok. i will try.. thanks

• giovanni.piemontese
    Options

reset remove all data and intialise all new.. and not take care on deploy.dev.yml changes..

After reset now bootstrap and i get the same error that database is not running, please check name etc...

it means:
    stop
    clean
    bootstrap
    up
    demo-data

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

deploy.yml changes are only taken into account when you run bootstrap

• giovanni.piemontese
    Options

yes i know.. i thouth that the reset command before build process take care on bootstrap self

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

your order is what I would do - only thing that make wonder why up after clean did not run data import

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

it should

• giovanni.piemontese
    Options

yes.. i see too... it just run demo-data to initialise db but not import data...

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

ok, I just learned something new

• UKHD8KTMF
    Options

maybe behavior changed

• giovanni.piemontese
    Options

yes.. it make sense... just one command and everything fresh there..

• Unknown
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi Giovanni,

In case you really need to save the data, you might want to consider the following flow (we tested it only to increase version:

For pg:
    1. docker exec spryker_demo_database_1 pg_dumpall -U root > dump.sql
    2. docker/sdk down
    3. docker volume rm spryker_demo_database-postgres-data
    4. Change version into docker/deployment/default/docker-compose.yml for database
    5. docker/sdk run
    6. docker cp dump.sql spryker_demo_database_1:/var/lib/postgresql/data
    7. docker exec -it spryker_demo_database_1 bash
    8. psql -U root < /var/lib/postgresql/data/dump.sql
    I hope it will help and provides a guideline of how to upgrade PostgreSQL to a higher version and preserve the data.